Thursday, April 15, 2010

A cone, a pyramid and some really strong memories

http://sparkinsight.wdfiles.com/local--files/factlets/cone_of_learning.png

This is an extension on Dales Cone - basically the friendly person has given some more context to the broad headings.

My thoughts on Dales Cone.

Generally I agree, but for most learners variation is probably just as in important to keep interest and attraction (the hook). Also some learners will instinctively more towards their natural style but others wont. i.e. I've learnt alot more about ancient Rome through reading texts then I ever have from watching movies yet i've much more films then texts on ancient Rome, and would almost aways go to them first.

There was also an interesting statement, tell me, show me, let me do... which argued three times (didn't matter too much on context) would lead to improved retention. This is also used in marketing, i.e. three times exposure increase likely hood of a purchase.

In producing my cone of learning, I was forced to honestly reflect on my learning experiences, although my more recent experience has demonstrated a need for structural change.

Academic
I write, I read and I discuss. I dont do well listening to recordings, or videos, or most lectures, unless I already feel quiet knowledgeable on the subject in which case I can use the opportunity to compare and reflect.

Example
We'd often spend a Thursday evening after a day of classes at the university bar drinking and debating, which was ten times more stimulating and interactive. It enhanced your knowledge and understanding, much more then the Thursday evening politics in a global world lecture.
So much in fact within a few weeks the lecture would join us half way through the class, leaving the tutor to present the remaining lecture while he debated with us.

Within the workplace I like demonstration and well written procedures to follow, as my natural desire for perfection means I find it demoralising to get something wrong.

Today, I've more keenly developed a structured learning process. I use a mark sheets for our class work, so I get the gratification of marking off on completion of a weeks tasks and can visual where I'm at. I can be quite pedantic about colour coding and things for work, certain subjects, certain folders, I like order. (P.S.) Although now being in the classroom, I'm certain even after only three weeks, that it will be pushed out of me.... grade ones go everywhere, and so does their work :).

Dales Cone tells us about what we remember. Maslow's hierarchy of needs tell us what we need to able to remember, yet neither demonstrate how we best enhance what we remember.


Some suggestions including;

Study environment (I personally need to be in a clean working space away from household distractions and more often then not away from other people.)

Study practices (I study most diligently in the early morning, struggle very hard from lunch to evening and best analytically after dark, although by midnight my mind is over stimulated and going off much faster then my fingers could ever type)

Study periods (I once met a man who could write entire assignments from his momentary notes, we'd be having a coffee, going to the pictures, but he'd momentarily think of and write down his thoughts for an assignment. Collating them later on and producing a very well argued text. Personally I study best in blocks of two to three hours).

Study food (I've incredibly bad eating habits generally, with maybe one meal a day and very little fluid. During study periods though I recognise this disadvantages me and try to improve.)

An example of some supposed brain food is as follow:

Blueberries: Blueberries have been shown in numerous studies to do wonderful things for memory and the brain in general. Old rats that were fed blueberries scored the same as young rats on memory tests. Blueberries contain anthocyanin, a known memory-boosting phytochemical. They also contain many other phytochemicals that may contribute to healthy brain function.

Apples: Apples contain high levels of quercetin, an antioxidant that has been shown in recent studies to protect against Alzheimer's disease. Although it is also present in the flesh, the most quercetin is found in the skin. Red apples also contain anthocyanin in their skins.

Spinach: One study found that feeding rats spinach prevented and even reversed memory loss. This may be due in part to its high folic acid content, a nutrient that is believed to be protective against Alzheimer's disease and age-related memory loss. Just a half-cup of cooked spinach provides two-thirds your daily requirement of folic acid.

Onions: Red onions contain anthocyanin and quercetin. Yellow and white onions also contain good levels of quercetin. In India, where onions are an important staple, onions have been used as a folk remedy to boost memory for centuries.

Broccoli: Broccoli contains quercetin. It's also a good source of folic acid.

Red Beets: Beets are a good source of anthocyanin and folic acid.

Grapes: Red, purple, and black grapes all contain quercetin and anthocyanin. Red wine also contains good levels of these phytochemicals, but overindulging in red wine may negate the benefits so keeping consumption to one glass per day may be wise.

Cherries: Another red food that is a good source of anthocyanin.

Eggplant: Eggplant is a great source of anthocyanin. It also contains nasunin, an antioxidant that protects the lipids in brain cell membranes.

Rosemary: Researchers have found that the carnosic acid in rosemary is neuroprotective and may play a role in the prevention of Alzheimer's disease and other neurodegenerative brain disorders. One study even found that just the scent of rosemary improved the memories of office workers.

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-foods-that-boost-memory.html

Beyond my mild tangent, some learners will succeed no matter what the elements of the cone, pyramid or other factors influencing them are. Others will not. It is in trying to capture and nurture these learners education, that the LM will be challenged.

Having a working knowledge of these tools, and the many others for learning styles etc assists in this endeavour.

Nigel

No comments:

Post a Comment